Having dry/sensitive/combo skin can be a real pain, particularly if you’re living in a geographical area with cold and harsh weather conditions.
While the market is full with products that are supposedly designed to take care of even the most problematic skin types, extra research is always a good idea before you make your final decision.
Today, we are taking a detailed look at Avene skincare crème to see whether its suits the needs of the most intense-care-demanding skin types.
What You Need to Know About Avène Skin Care Crème
Eau Thermale Avène skincare is a French brand that was launched in 1990. All of its products are formulated with Avène Thermal Spring Water, which is bottled directly from the source of the spring, and is used to treat various skin conditions including atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema and burns ever since 1743.
The secret behind the Thermal Spring Water’s soothing and calming effects are hidden in the deeps of Cevennes Mountains in France.
Originated as pure rain mixed with sea spray (which is rich in mineral salts), the Thermal Spring Water flows through the Cevennes Mountains and filters itself through porous dolomite rocks – a mineral that is rich in calcium and magnesium, two essential elements for our skin – and eventually finds contact with a unique microflora called Aqua Dolomiae.
These microorganisms enrich the mineral waters with unique, active substances (that can exclusively be found in Cevennes Mountains), which grant significant anti-itching, anti-inflammatory and anti-irritating properties, while strengthening the skin’s natural resistance and durability.
Here is a great video that explains all the benefits of the Avène products and walks you through every important aspect:
Avène skincare crème (also known as Avène recovery crème, Avène relieving crème for intolerant skin or Avene crème peaux intolèrantes) is a 100% sterile, soothing and protective moisturizer, which is manufactured with minimal amount of ingredients to suit even the most sensitive and intolerant skin types. It's best used to reduce irritation and redness, though some customers have reported cases of successful acne combating capabilities as well (see customer reviews). The product also boosts the skin’s natural barrier, increases resistance to outside stress factors and is recommended by hundreds of dermatologists worldwide.
- Avène Thermal Spring Water – Soothes, calms and softens the skin
- Parcerine – Reduces irritation and redness, and restores the skin’s natural hydrolipidic barrier (the skin’s external barrier that covers the entire skin and its main function is to protect against bacteria)
- Plant Squalene – Nourishes and protects the skin
- Glycerin – Moisturizes the skin
What skin types is Avène Skin Care Crème Good For?
When exploring and researching this product, you will most certainly encounter two versions of it on most websites: Avène Skin Care (Recovery) Crème and Avène Skin Care (Recovery) Crème RICH. To make it clear and settle any possible confusion, here is the difference between those two:
The main difference is that Avène Skin Care (Recovery) Crème is designed for normal/combo skin, while Avène Skin Care (Recovery) Crème RICH is designed for dry skin. Other than this, the creams are identical.
The product is particularly effective for sensitive, dry and combo (sensitive and dry) skin types prone to acne, irritation, itching, burning and redness. Since the product is 100% sterile, it can safely be used by people who are sensitive to fragrance, colorants and other cosmetic ingredients when it comes to face crèmes.
Oily skin types can use the product as well, however, due to its high moisturizing properties, some people may find it unsuitable. The crème is also proven to be hypoallergenic, meaning that it can safely be used without the fear of any troubling side effects or allergic reactions.
How to Use Avène Skin Care Crème
Avène skincare crème can be used in the morning and evening, and is safe to wear under makeup. Here are detailed directions:
- Cleanse your skin with a very gentle cleansing lotion of your choice.
- Apply a small amount of crème to your face and neck. Use gentle, massaging motions until the cream is fully absorbed.
- After each use, make sure to remove any excess cream around the tube opening to preserve it well for future use.
Pros and Cons
Like with any product, no matter how good it appears to be, it will always have something that you need to consider carefully before using. Here are the pros and cons for Avène skincare crème:
- Manufactured by a highly reputable company.
- Recommended by hundreds of dermatologists worldwide.
- Suitable for extremely sensitive, dry and mixed skin types.
- Doesn’t cause any side effects or allergic reactions.
- Can be worn under makeup.
- The crème is completely scentless, which makes it extra safe for people with sensitive skin.
- Avène Thermal Spring Water is clinically tested and proven to deliver soothing, calming and protecting effects to human skin.
- Some oily skin types may find the product unsuitable.
- The product doesn’t work the same for all people. Many users have reported receiving little to no effect after regular use, and some even had mild breakouts and itching reactions.
- The product price has doubled at the beginning of the year, which makes it a bit pricey ($35, 50ml).
What Results You Can Expect After Consistent Use
As reported by various customers, Avène skincare crème delivers outstanding results when used regularly. It helps reduce redness, itchiness and burning, while resisting cold weather with extreme efficiency. In case of dermal conditions like rosacea and eczema, you can expect positive changes after 1-2 months of use.
Avène Skin Care Crème Customer Reviews and Ratings
As you should probably know from experience, there is no a “one product suits all” option out there, particularly when it comes to skincare. Remember that each person’s organism is unique and it’s not just about your skin type when it comes to healing, protecting and nourishing it. Factors like genetics, climate, etc. can influence your skin’s condition, so don’t get discouraged if a product doesn’t fit your case, but at the same time, do your homework well when researching potential fits.
In case of Avène skincare crème, it enjoys a solid 4.5 star user rating on Amazon (with almost 300 reviews and 80% users giving it the full 5 stars, which is pretty high for a skincare product). Of course, not everybody is happy with the crème (with reports stating the product to be “so-so” and even being an absolute waste of money), but that should always be expected.
Also, here is a detailed video by a young woman telling her experience with Avène Skin Care Crème:
Where to Buy Avène Skin Care Crème
You can acquire Avène skincare crème on Amazon and their official website. I’d recommend going with the official website version if possible, since you get free shipping on your first order, and also free shipping + 2 sample products of your choice on any order above $45.
The website also offers an “auto-replenishment” option that allows to save 10% and get free shipping on your replenished orders. This is more suited if you are a dedicated user and always re-order the product on scheduled time.
Questions to Consider Before Buying Avène Skin Care Crème
- Is this good for hypersensitive/dry/combo skin types? – Absolutely. Avène skincare crème is designed with extra care to be suitable for even the most problematic skin types.
- Does the product cause dryness? – No, the product is specifically made to counter dryness, especially in cold weather.
- Can I use this in combination with other products? – Yes, however it’s advisable to consult a dermatologist before mixing different products together.
- Any allergies/side effects I should worry about? – Mostly nothing. Only 4% of customers have reported unusual, drying reactions and mild breakouts. Other than that, every other person was really happy with the effects.
- How long does the bottle last me? – With regular use, the bottle lasts for around 60 days.
Alternatives to Avène Skin Care Crème
Depending on where you live, your budget and a dozen other circumstances, you might not be able to get your hands on Avène skincare crème. In that case, here are two great alternatives you can consider:
#1 La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 Soothing Multi-Purpose Balm Cream for Dry Skin
This multipurpose cream (suitable for body, hands, face and lips) has been clinically tested and approved by dermatologists to be used for dry and sensitive skin types.
It is designed to nourish and rejuvenate dry skin, while soothing irritation and making the skin visibly smoother. Formulated with panthenol, shea butter and glycerin, Cicaplast Baume also helps moisturize the skin. What I like most about this product is that it’s been used on babies (only one week old) to great effect, and we all know how fragile a newborn’s skin is. This is a reassuring factor for all people with sensitive/dry/combo skin types.
#2 Dr. Jart + Cicapair Cream
The product is designed for dry and sensitive skin, and helps nourish, protect, soothe and calm the skin, while reducing irritation and repairing damaged, blemished areas. Special ingredients include Centella asiatica – a complex of ingredients that relieve the skin from environmental pollution and stress – and various natural ingredients. The product is most suited to be used as the last step for morning and evening skincare routine.
Customer reviews are mostly positive (4.5 star user rating on Amazon) and some customers have shared images where you can see the results after continuous use. Here is one such review:
Overall, Avène skincare crème – and the whole product line of Avène for that matter – is a great choice for sensitive/hypersensitive/dry/combo skin types. The Thermal Spring Water has indeed helped a solid number of customers combat and regulate their skin issues, while not producing problems/side effects in the meantime.
While a relatively small number of customers have had their complaints, it’s to be expected for any skincare product. I would definitely recommend giving this cream a try, especially when you have the option to get a free sample of other products if you order from their official website.
Have you used Avene skincare crème before? What results did you have? How well did it work for you? Share your experience with us in the comments!